One of the unique things about this program is that it anticipates your evolution in skill and equipment. Right now, you may be borrowing a simple barebow from a program, say summer camp. You will be shooting outdoors mostly, but later you may be shooting a NASP program at school indoors with standard Genesis equipment.
No problem. As you move through venue and equipment, we have a plan. The target size stays the same depending on equipment used: barebow* uses the largest target, recurve bow with sights uses a smaller target, and compound bows with sights (get handi-capped) with the smallest target… but everyone shoots from the same distance indoors or outdoors. Distances will get longer (harder) as you continue in the Archers Quest program!
* barebow to be clear, is a bow without sights attached to it for this program. It may include longbow, recurve or compound. This includes the Genesis bow (called a basic compound) used in the NASP program.
SHOOT – This is the fun stuff! Every award in the ARCHERS QUEST progression is shot at a standard distance at each level. You will shoot 30 arrows (usually 10 ends of 3 arrows or six ends of 5 arrows) for a potential max score of 300 points! You need 210 or more to pass to the next level. You may choose to shoot the indoor or outdoor (or both) to qualify. The sample completed scorecard below illustrates how to fill out the scorecard. Your witness will confirm the score and sign off as completed. Remember to indicate the equipment used and corresponding target size on your scorecard.
picture of target size differences: 80cm, 60cm, 40cm (size printed in corner of bottom)
(Outdoor 122cm target)
So lets get started…
- Choose your equipment to shoot
Barebow (no sights) – use a 80cm target inside, or a 122cm target for outside,
Recurve-sights – use a 60cm target inside, or a 80cm target for outside,
Compound-sights – use a 40cm target inside, or a 60cm outside.
- Option: If you are challenged to find a place to shoot and the official target, here is a compromise. Big box retailers (like Academy Sports & Outdoors) have inexpensive backyard targets. If you are using a compound bow or one with a heavy weight to pull, use the bag targets.For substitution for the official World target paper faces, you can cut out a circle to match these dimensions:40cm – cut 6 1/4″ (bullseye is 3″); 60cm – cut 9 1/2″ (bullseye is 4 3/4″); 80cm – cut 12 1/2″ (bullseye is 6 1/4″); 122cm – cut 19″ (bullseye is 9 1/2″). This is equal to the bullseye and red rings of each target.
- We have created a program all-in-one AQ Target (measures 2’x2′) that is weather proof and durable for 1000’s of shots. You can purchase it through the STORE. Official World Archery paper targets may also be bought online through many sources, like Lancaster Archery Supply
- Match the target size corresponding to it.
- Print out your scorecard needed for this rank: Jr. Yeoman Score Card
- You will need an adult witness – like your counselor, instructor or parent to sign your card and be in your picture.
- Shoot 30 arrows (max possible score of 300) at 5M (meters) indoors or 10M (meters) outdoors. You need a score of 210+ points. If using a cut our circle target, all arrows must hit it. Record a score of 210 points.
YOUR ASSIGNMENT: Once you have shot and tallied your scorecard, get your witness to sign off as evidence it was performed. Then shoot a digital picture of you holding the scorecard in front of the range shot on. Upload below for JR YEOMAN Quest requirement.
Once you have completed the Learning, Quest, and Shooting assignments proceed to complete this rank’s JR YEOMAN Quiz
YOUR ASSIGNMENT: Once you have shot and tallied your scorecard, get your witness to sign off as evidence it was performed. Then shoot a digital picture of you and your witness holding the scorecard in front of the range shot on. Upload the picture for your JR YEOMAN Quest.